No Charges in Sacramento Police Shooting of Stephon Clark
By
xdavid

March 4, 2019

youtube

March 2, 2019. District Attorney Anne Marie Schubert announced that the two officers who killed Clark won’t face criminal charges. “Was a crime committed? There’s no question that a human being died, but when we follow the law and our ethical responsibility, we will not charge these officers with criminal liability for the death of Stephon Clark,” Schubert said.

Clark’s girl friend, Salena Manni, in a tearful statement to reporters, said she loved Clark and Schubert was “continuing the shameful legacy of officers killing black men without consequences, and breaking my family’s hearts once again.” She said. Clark assulted Manni many times and was highlighted throughout the DA’s press conference.

According to the police report, after a previous assult, the left side of Manni’s face was swollen, particularly around her eye, cheekbone and lip, and she was crying and breathing heavily. She also told police that she had lied to them about the fight earlier that month in fear of Clark, who she said was responsible for a welt on the back of her leg. Clark was on probation for two other incidents of domestic violence against Manni as well as one loitering for prostitution case and one robbery case. Manni, too, was on probation for a 2014 conviction of assault with a deadly weapon, according to Sacramento Superior Court records.

The couple’s conflict continued over text messages, records show, with Clark professing his innocence and Manni saying she would testify against him and make sure he went to jail for a long time. He eventually texted other ex-girlfriends seeking drugs, and shot back a message saying that he would kill himself if they couldn’t piece their family back together.
For many comments, check out here

An attorney for Clark’s children blasted the district attorney’s office. “The City has once again failed Stephon Clark, his family and the people of Sacramento,” lawyer Brian Panish wrote. “It’s unfortunate that justice for Stephon and his family must now be decided and delivered by a civil court.”

A lawsuit filed by Clark’s family in January seeks at least $20 million from the city of Sacramento and the two police officers. The lawsuit, filed on behalf of Clark’s grandparents, parents and two young sons, was filed in U.S. District Court under federal civil rights laws. Separately, Clark’s family filed a wrongful death claim against the city last September seeking between $15 million and $35 million.

twitter

Share On Facebook