Phone chargers have one hidden danger – According to firefighters, here’s what you need to know

You thought the Galaxy Note 7 scandal was an isolated incident, but Apple and other cell phone makers aren’t in the clear.

Firefighters from New Hampshire Fire Department say all phone chargers have a significant danger one should avoid at all costs.


The Newton, New Hampshire Fire Department recently posted a statement to their Facebook page that painted a very scary picture for cell phone users and parents everywhere. In an attempt to raise awareness about the dangers of charging mobile devices-including tablets and laptops–while in bed, they posted the following statement.

“Research has revealed that 53% of children/teens charge their phone or tablet either on their bed or under their pillow. This can be extremely dangerous. The heat generated cannot dissipate and the charger will become hotter and hotter. The likely result is that the pillow/bed will catch fire. This places the child/teen as well as everyone else in the home in great danger.”

Newton NH Fire Department

The New Hampshire Fire Department backed their study with findings from Electrical Safety First. According to the experts, the type of charger a person uses plays a major role in house fires as well.

The finding that over a quarter of all children surveyed have used or purchased a cheap unbranded charger is also extremely worrying. Counterfeit or substandard chargers are the most potentially dangerous counterfeit items Electrical Safety First has tested. These chargers often contain faulty parts that can overheat and catch fire or deliver a fatal electric shock.